The iPhone does not use regular SIM cards, but reduced ones - micro-SIM and nano-SIM. Why? For a very simple reason - Apple and other developers do it to save space, and thus to reduce the thickness of the device. And if you want to have a slim gadget, you have to reduce the size of the standard sim card. It may seem complicated, but it's really not all that bad. In order to cut the sim card for Micro SIM and Nano SIM you need to go to a special center or do it yourself. Now let's find out what you can do yourself if you have such a problem.
There are several options:
- Order a new card from a cell phone operator's store. This is a good option, but it takes time and energy to get there and place your order. The plus is that you don't have to cut anything, and it will be free. The minus is that it is time-consuming and there may be a line at the cell phone store.
- When you buy a new phone, the sales assistant can cut your SIM card with a special tool, but this service may have to be paid for. And even then, this is provided if you buy in an offline store, but if the online store? There are questions. You can buy a card trimming tool yourself, but is it worth it? Maybe there's another option? Yes, and I hope you like it!
- Your own sim card trimmer. You can save time and money by trimming your SIM card yourself to the micro-sim or nano-sim - to the one you need. How to do it?
How to cut the SIM card to fit the Micro SIM
Micro-SIM is a type of SIM-card that has reduced dimensions compared to a regular one: 15×12×0.76 mm. How do I make a Micro SIM card?
- Take a pencil and a ruler and on your SIM card measure 12 millimeters by 15. It is better to turn the card with the contacts facing you. If you are afraid of not drawing the outline you need to cut, it is better to print out a template and cut according to it.
- Take sharp scissors - preferably small, manicure - or a knife and along the outlined contour cut a micro-simple.
- If there is any excess, you can gently remove the rest of the plastic with an emery board or, if you do not have one, use a nail file.
- Your Micro-SIM is ready. Insert it into your gadget and use it.
But what if you need a nano-sim instead of a micro-sim? What are the differences and how do you get the right size card?
How to trim a Nano SIM card
Nano SIM is one type of SIM card with the smallest dimensions: 12.3×8.8×0.67 mm. It was used quite recently, for the first time in 2012 in the iPhone 5. The Nano-SIM is just the size of the chip, which makes it a little difficult to cut - there is a risk of damaging the contacts. How to make a Nano SIM card?
- It is better to download and print out a template. It's easier to cut out.
- If you don't have that option, take a pencil and use a ruler to draw a 12.3 millimeter by 8.8 millimeter outline. You will get practically on the chip.
- Cut off the excess with sharp scissors and file the edges without touching the chip itself, otherwise it can be damaged.
The nano SIM can be cut not only from the SIM card, but also from the micro SIM, because it is smaller than them - the nano SIM is the smallest in size. You can download the template and cut it out.
If you are afraid that you will cut out a micro or nano-sim, and then you need a SIM card of a larger size, then do not worry - in this case you buy an adapter, which serves as a kind of adapter, and there is no need to buy a new SIM card and use it as a regular or cut out again for a micro-sim.
For which phones do you need to cut the sim card
The micro SIM is for the iPhone 4/4, while the nano SIM is used in iPhones starting with the 5/5s, i.e. iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone Xr, iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max.
So, we found out that you can cut a SIM card both in a mobile phone shop or in a store, where you buy a phone, and at home, which will help you save time and money. Which option you choose is up to you. If you're afraid to cut the card you want, then for courage you can watch a video on how to make a nano SIM from a micro SIM, how to get a nano SIM from a SIM card, or on how to cut a micro SIM from a regular SIM card. Then you'll be sure to get it right.
Hello! I am the founder of Apps4Life. It started as a hobby, but turned into a great and useful project that helps people get acquainted with the digital world of mobile games, add-ons, webservices and crypto-industry.